Results of tri-modality therapy for rectal cancer in elderly patients

Maxi Treder, Stefan Janssen, Steven E. Schild, Dirk Rades*

*Corresponding author for this work


Background/Aim: Elderly cancer patients are more prevalent and require special attention. This study focused on the outcome of elderly (≥65 years) rectal cancer patients treated with tri-modality therapy. Patients and Methods: A total of 105 patients receiving neoadjuvant radio-chemotherapy and resection for locally advanced rectal cancers were retrospectively evaluated. Nine characteristics were analyzed for loco-regional control (LRC), metastases-free survival (MFS) and overall survival (OS) including tumor location, gender, age, performance status, radiotherapy technique, primary tumor/lymph node categories, downstaging and histological grading. Results: The 5-year rates of LRC, MFS and OS were 91%, 78% and 87%, respectively. Radio-chemotherapy was not completed in 12 patients (11%) due to toxicity; 18 patients (17%) experienced grade 3 toxicities. A total of 29 patients (28%) had surgical complications. On multivariate analyses, MFS was significantly associated with downstaging (p=0.003) and OS with lower histological grade (p=0.013). Conclusion: Tri-modality therapy resulted in promising outcomes and was tolerated reasonably well by elderly patients. Prognostic factors were identified that may help personalize future treatment.

Original languageEnglish
JournalAnticancer Research
Issue number11
Pages (from-to)6217-6222
Number of pages6
Publication statusPublished - 11.2019


Dive into the research topics of 'Results of tri-modality therapy for rectal cancer in elderly patients'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this