Response to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole in Wegener's granulomatosis depends on the phase of disease

E. Reinhold-Keller*, K. de Groot, H. Rudert, B. Nölle, M. Heller, W. L. Gross

*Corresponding author for this work
149 Citations (Scopus)


We prospectively studied trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (T/S) in inducing remission in 'initial phase' Wegener's granulomatosis (WG), and in sustaining remission in generalized WG, in 72 patients in various disease stages. Nineteen patients with initial phase WC received T/S (2 x 960 mg/day). Another 24 patients with generalized WC received the same dose of T/S (group A) and were compared with 21 patients receiving no further treatment after standard therapy (group B). Eight patients were given T/S plus low-dose prednisone (group C). Eleven of 19 patients (58%) with initial phase WC achieved complete or partial remission lasting a median 43 months (range 6-88 months). Of the remaining eight (42%), five showed local disease progression, and three developed generalized WG. In group A (T/S alone, generalized WC), 10/24 (42%) suffered a relapse after a median 13 months (range 4-58 months). In group B (generalized WG, no further treatment) 29% of patients relapsed after a median 22.5 months (range 18-26 months). All eight patients treated with T/S plus low-dose prednisone (group C) suffered serious relapse after 2-24 months. T/S induced long-term remission in > 50% of patients with initial phase WG; however, neither T/S alone nor T/S plus low-dose prednisone sustained remission in generalized WG.

Original languageEnglish
JournalQJM - Monthly Journal of the Association of Physicians
Issue number1
Pages (from-to)15-23
Number of pages9
Publication statusPublished - 01.1996

Research Areas and Centers

  • Academic Focus: Center for Infection and Inflammation Research (ZIEL)


Dive into the research topics of 'Response to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole in Wegener's granulomatosis depends on the phase of disease'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this