One-year clinical outcome after pulmonary vein isolation in persistent atrial fibrillation using the second-generation 28 mm cryoballoon: A retrospective analysis

Christine Lemes*, Erik Wissner, Tina Lin, Shibu Mathew, Sebastian Deiss, Andreas Rillig, Christian Heeger, Peter Wohlmuth, Bruno Reissmann, Roland Tilz, Feifan Ouyang, Karl Heinz Kuck, Andreas Metzner

*Corresponding author for this work
65 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Aims The purpose of this study was to determine efficacy of pulmonary vein isolation (PVI) using the 28 mm cryoballoon (CB) in patients with persistent atrial fibrillation (AF). Superior acute and 1-year outcome has been demonstrated following PVI, using the second-generation CB in patients with paroxysmal AF. Data on the outcome in patients with persistent AF are sparse. Methods and results Forty-nine patients (20 female, mean age 63 ± 10 years, mean left atrial diameter 46 ± 5 mm) with persistent AF [median AF duration since first diagnosis: 48 (20:192) months] underwent second-generation 28 mm CB-based PVI. The freeze cycle duration was set at 240 s. After successful PVI, a bonus freeze cycle of 240 s was applied in the first 11/49 (22%) patients, and no bonus freeze cycle was used in the remaining 38/49 (78%) patients. Follow-up (FU) was based on outpatient clinic visits at 3, 6, and 12 months, which included Holter electrocardiograms and telephone interviews. Recurrence was defined as an episode of symptomatic and/or documented atrial tachyarrhythmia >30 s beyond the 3-month blanking period. A total of 193 pulmonary veins (PVs) were identified and 193/193 (100%) PVs were successfully isolated. No phrenic nerve paralysis occurred. Follow-up was obtained in 49/49 (100%) patients with a mean FU duration of 416 ± 178 days. After the 3-month blanking period, antiarrhythmic medication was discontinued in 33/49 (67%) patients. Thirty-four of 49 (69%) patients remained in stable sinus rhythm. Conclusions In patients with persistent AF, use of the second-generation 28 mm CB was associated with a 69% 1-year clinical success rate.

Original languageEnglish
JournalEuropace
Volume18
Issue number2
Pages (from-to)201-205
Number of pages5
ISSN1099-5129
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 01.02.2016

Research Areas and Centers

  • Centers: Cardiological Center Luebeck (UHZL)

DFG Research Classification Scheme

  • 205-12 Cardiology, Angiology

Cite this